Saturday, August 8, 2009

INTERCEPTED: What's a Franchise QB Worth EXACTLY?

Saturday, August 8, 2009
So my inbox has been FLOODED with emails from people asking me to weigh-in on the Eli Manning contract. Most of course want to get under my skin about the entire situation as if I'm seeing any of that 106 million, but I do LOVE it because people respect my opinion and want to hear from me. I however, decided in the end to let the contract stand on it's own and refrain from jumping into the fray, because I'm a better defender than one who rationalizes, and most people want some sort of explanation as if Manning's career thus far doesn't speak for itself. So why bother? I can't change anyones mind who doesn't agree with it anyway...

No sooner than I made that decision though late last night while on twitter, I ran across this article (below) written by Mike Garafolo of NJ.com and NY Giants Beat Writer. Where it's clear he reached the end of his rationalization rope, as he sounded off in this piece of journalism genius.

The beauty of this article is that it explains the football intangibles (assets that come natural and can't be taught) Eli Manning possesses that separates the average QB's from the good/great QB's.

He's also quite annoyed and there's nothing more I love better in life, than a good ole fashion RANT...it confirms that I'm not the only one fed up with the BS!

It also lets me know I need to stop holding back and let my journalistic creativity for sports news flow...so consider this the last time I hold my tongue on an issue I'm passionate about.

So for those who still have questions, comments, or concerns...you know I love to hear them, ESPECIALLY the bad ones. A good 80% of sports journalism is about disagreement and healthy debate so don't hold back. This articles answers a lot but if you still disagree, as I'm sure 95% of you will in the end, I RESPECT THAT TOO and still LOVE YA!

"A more complete equation to calculate the value of NY Giants quarterback Eli Manning's new contract"

Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger Friday August 07, 2009, 11:05 AM

After seeing this and this, I can't take it anymore. I just can't. I have to add a few more questions to these equations in order to help everyone get a true picture of the value of Eli Manning's forthcoming contract.

But I'm going to need help calculating these questions, such as:

How much does Manning make per time he calms everyone else around him by being the "same old Eli" in a pressure situation?

How much for each time he's responsible for half of the greatest play in Super Bowl history?

How much for the big shiny ring - the generally accepted ultimate sign of a quarterback's worth? (That figure for the contracts for quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb and Drew Brees can't be calculated because you can't divide by zero.)

How much for every audible at the line that results in a long run?

How much for setting the proper protections, thus helping the offensive line prepare itself to pick up blitzes?

How much does he make per fourth-quarter comeback? (Actually, this one I can calculate. It's $5.7 million so far based on 17 comeback drives in the final period. An 18th comeback was courtesy of a defensive touchdown, so I'll leave that one out.)

How much for every dodged question from the media that could easily draw negative headlines if not answered with care?

How much for each receiver or tight end he's refused to show up after said players threw up their hands in disgust when he didn't throw their way?

How much per charitable appearance in the New York area during the off-season?

How much for every time he's bankrolled a dog-fighting ring?

How much for each time he earned his teammates' respect by telling Tiki Barber to zip it after criticizing him?

And finally, how many millions per million generated for the state of New Jersey through sold-out home games?

Let me know what you come up with.
Yeah...um this needs to be said twice:
How much for the big shiny ring - the generally accepted ultimate sign of a quarterback's worth? (That figure for the contracts for quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb and Drew Brees can't be calculated because you can't divide by zero.)
POW!

0 comments:

 
eXclusivity, Inc. © 2008. Design by Pocket