Monday, June 22, 2009

Seriously WHY, Aunt Viv?

Monday, June 22, 2009

So, Janet Hubert (-Whitten no more), only known for her role as the first "Vivian Banks" on the iconic Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has written a tell-all memoir about her departure from the show in 1993. In the past week or so, she has been shamelessly, self-promoting her book entitled, "Perfection Is Not A Sitcom Mom," which pretty much bashes the show's star, Will Smith. Thirteen years all after the fact, she has been publicly lashing out that Will Smith was basically a one-man wrecking crew of her career. She quips that Smith was not the charasmatic actor that many of us have grown to admire and love. Supposedly, her claims against Smith include "mental and verbal abuse on the set, hypocrisy, excessive egoism, blatant resentment, the insensitive spewing of ‘your mama’s so black’ jokes, and ultimately public slander." Hubert also accuses Smith of having "full power on that set."

...(pause for the cause and blank stare)...

Um, please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Smith's hip-hop alias "Fresh Prince?" And isn't the show called the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, not the Janet Hubert-Whitten of LaLa Land show? Am I the only one making the correlation here? Mmhmm...Ok, thought so...

(pause break over, continuing)

The show's premise was based on and centered around Smith. NBC approached and wanted Smith, someone who was very new to acting, to star in the weekly sitcom. And Hubert, a weathered actress already in Hollywood, seems to be the only one harboring some "blantant resentment." It seems as though Hubert is making claims in her memoir, and much of it comes off as bitterness and animosity of the celebrity that Smith has become over the years. As well as what the show has become since it premiere in 1990, nearly 20 years ago. So, I'm pretty sure she's not getting as many royalty checks from the show and its syndication, since she has pretty much burned bridges with not only Smith but other notables such as Quincy Jones (the show's co-producer) and other NBC executives. Yeah, back in '94, she filed a suit against the network and Smith too!

Now, this is a first that I've ever heard of Will Smith basically being an a-hole from a supposed 'insider.' He has worked with many actors and actresses since the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was on the air and I've never recalled hearing that he was diffcult to work with, even then or now. His other castmates have even worked with him on other projects and television shows after Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Alfonso Ribeiro has directed episodes of All of Us which was created and executive produced by Smith. And Tatyana Ali and Smith have both been featured on one another's albums, Kiss the Sky and Willennium, respectively.

So, I don't know about you, but it seems as though Ms. Hubert is trying to be relevant again in anyway possible. I mean, she is going around spewing all of these wild accusations that I can't understand why anyone would check for her book in 2010 when it is slated to be released. Yeah, I said 2010...as in a year from now. I guess because it is a recession, everyone is in need to make a quick buck...well, we know Will Smith isn't.


Aunt Viv, for real? Girl, bye!


For the full EUR Web exclusive of her interview with DeBorah B. Pryor and bonus audio: http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur54147.cfm.

6 comments:

SirValentino said...

Yeah that's pretty low Aunt Viv. It's apparent that she is clearly doing this to sell the book. I guess integrity is the least of her concerns since her relevance/celebrity status has dwindled to non existence (smh)...nicely written I AM XI

XIKhai said...

o_O (side-eying) Aunt Viv! Loved the rant girl.

XIKhai said...

Why does the picture on that book scare me.

I am XI said...

Thanks! I had to get that one up off my chest. As I was doing some of my research there was some downright despicable things that she said that I could have included but didn't want to give her the post space. I used too much as it is. LOL!

I am XI said...

Oh, and yes girl, I just HAD to include that picture b/c it scared me too! As well as that coiffure atop her head...(SMH)...uh no...lol.

I am XI said...

OK! And did anyone noticed that I descibe Hubert as a "weathered actress" and not a "seasoned actress?" LMAO! Let's talk about it...She is only 53 years old to date! So, for those that are doing the math in their heads... This means she was only 34 when the show premiered and 37 when she was "forced off" the show. She seems to play roles that make her older than what she is. She guest starred on The Bernie Mac Show as Bernie's overbearing Mother-in-Law...ok, Bernie was only a year younger than Hubert in real life... my point exactly.

 
eXclusivity, Inc. © 2008. Design by Pocket